German road re-surfacing equipment manufacturer Schäfer-technic GmbH engaged Tiger Spider to facilitate Australian homologation and import of the OB Vario road re-surfacing semi-trailer.
One challenge for Tiger Spider is that the OB Vario tanker trailer is designed for Europe where standard trailer width is 2.55 m and machinery behind the trailer axle group required a rear overhang exceeding the maximum allowed under Australian Design Rules.
Tiger Spider conducted the following to get this vehicle approved for use on the road in Australia:
- Performance-Based Standards (PBS) Design Approval – This involved a 3D vehicle dynamic performance assessment of the vehicle, including computer modelling of two steerable rear axles on the semi-trailer that steer relative to the trailer articulation angle.
- PBS In-Principle Support (IPS) – Obtained access for a 2.55m wide vehicle to PBS level 1 networks in Victoria, NSW, Queensland, South Australia, the ACT.
- Australian Design Rule (ADR) Identification Plate Approval (IPA) – Tiger Spider obtained a non standard ADR IPA from the Vehicle Safety team in Canberra allowing a compliance plate to be fitted to the over-dimensional trailer.
- Vehicle Import Approval – Tiger Spider facilitated the Vehicle Import Approval to allow the vehicle to be imported into Australia from Germany without delay.
- WorkSAFE Design Registration for Dangerous Goods Tanker– the Schäfer OB Vario transports high-temperature bitumen products for road-resurfacing, which are classified as a Dangerous Goods Tanker under the Australian Dangerous Good Code. Tiger Spider obtained Dangerous Goods road tanker design registration from Worksafe Victoria for the transport of Class 3 and 9 dangerous goods.
- Certification – Tiger Spider facilitated a full inspection of the semi-trailer combination to ensure it complied with all Design Approvals issued by the various regulatory authorities.
- NHVR PBS Vehicle Approval and Access Permit – Tiger Spider facilitated the final step in gaining permitted road access in Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia and Australian Capital Territory.